- NEVER share your account details Never share your Townbus Classifieds account details or password with anyone.
- PROTECT your identity Never share personal or private information, eg: your date of birth.
- DON'T ACCEPT online money transfers Conduct face-to-face transactions only. Payment confirmation by email can be faked.
- MEET IN PUBLIC when completing a sale Take a friend with you or tell friends and family where you are going.
- BE SCAM AWARE use common sense If you feel the deal is too good to be true, it probably is. If in doubt, don't do the deal.
- NO interstate or overseas sales, keep your transaction local Don't deal with buyers or sellers who are interstate or overseas. Townbus Classifieds is for local deals only.
- BE ALERT for suspicious behaviour Emails offering large sums of money or requiring security deposits are common scam techniques.
- DON'T ACCEPT part payments Buyers who want to take the item and pay for only part of it should not be trusted.
- ASK QUESTIONS and be an aware buyer Ask questions of the seller and inspect the item before you pay to avoid disappointment.
- NEVER wire money to agents People who ask you to use wire payment services are likely to be scammers.
- NEVER have items shipped You may lose your money if the item never arrives.
- KEEP your system updated Always install the latest software updates and use a virus scanner.
- REPORT abusive or suspicious behaviour Trust and safety are important to us. If something doesn't seem right, report it to us.
- NEVER SHARE your details We will never ask for your account details. Don't ever give them out via email or phone.
- SAFETY is top priority for our users Townbus Classifieds endeavours to keep your information and details safe at all times.
- DO NOT buy rare or expensive breeds online The breeder may be from overseas and you could be scammed.
- MAKE SURE you pick up your pet in person If the seller will not meet with you they could be a scammer.
- DO NOT buy puppies or kittens under 8 weeks Puppies and kittens must stay with their mother until 8 weeks of age.
- CHECK the pet's documents Make sure that your pet's documents are genuine as they can sometimes be forged.
- DO NOT give deposits on pets or animals It may difficult to prove and you may not get your money back.
- MAKE SURE you can be responsible for an animal Do not purchase an animal or pet if you are not able to look after them.
Tickets & Events
- ALWAYS check ticket resell policies Some events will not allow a buyer to resell event tickets. Always check with the official organiser first.
- CHECK tickets are genuine Tickets can be forged. Always check your tickets before handing over money.
- CHECK the event has not been cancelled Check the tickets are still valid. If your event is cancelled you could lose your money.
- MAKE SURE you are able to transfer details on tickets You may be required to supply the ID of the original buyer or be refused entry to some events.
- BE CAREFUL of buying printed tickets Scammers can print multiple copies of the same ticket.
- BEWARE of hidden fees Some organisers charge extra fees to change the name of the ticket owner.
- DO NOT have tickets posted by mail Always meet ticket sellers in person as your tickets may never arrive.
- ALWAYS inspect properties in person Renters or buyers who cannot view properties can be fake, even if they claim to be overseas.
- DO NOT sign a contract you have not read Read tenancy contracts carefully before agreeing to anything or you could be at risk of fraud.
- DO NOT have keys posted to your new property This is a common scam. Fake agents promise to post keys which may never arrive.
- Always do a through research of the product you intent to buy
- Ask as many questions as you have about the product
- Insist on inspecting the product on your own before buying
- Meet the seller at a public place before buying the product
- Cash is the best form of payment in a transaction through classifieds
- Don't disclose your personal information to the seller in your initial conversation
- Don't be afraid to cancel the deal if you find something fishy
- Don't buy the product unless you have seen it physically
- Avoid meeting the seller in a secluded area
- Avoid sharing your credit card or bank account details
- Always provide correct and detailed information
- Answer the buyer's queries to generate his or her interest in your offer
- Be sure about the buyer's identity and purpose before closing deal
- Meet the buyer in person in a public place before closing the deal
- Avoid committing something which is not present in the product/service
- Don't disclose personal information unless you are sure about buyer's intention
- Don't be afraid to ask the buyer about his purpose of buying the product
- Avoid meeting the buyer in a secluded area